.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

PR Insights

16 October 2005

Is RSS a conversational tool?

One of the comments in PR Week's RSS feature came from Georg Kolb at Text 100.

He's quoted as saying "RSS is not just another distribution channel, it's a conversational tool."

This got me thinking. Every piece I've read on line has discussed RSS as a distribution method. That's how I see it. It's blogs that provide a means for companies to have conversations with their customers.

Perhaps there's something that I'm missing here. I need to go and do a bit more reading (and thinking).

2 Comments:

  • David,
    Here is why I think it's conversational. Distribution is a ‘push’ method, it pours information on targets whether they like it or not. RSS is a ‘pull’ tool, it empowers the reader to select. That’s the conversational side of it, both parties have their share in the encounter. I hope this makes more sense?
    Best regards,
    Georg

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/18/2005 1:50 AM  

  • Hmmmm...
    Perhaps its both. We use it as pull to go into the back of our News and Blog analysis tools and to send out automated reports.
    So the 'conversation' is between computers. Then they get an email (as well as online stuff).
    RSS then, becomes push.
    Funny world!

    By Blogger David Phillips, at 11/09/2005 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home